We are in search of the right person to fill our full-time Product Developer / Designer position on the North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii. This position will report directly to one of the co-founders. A strong sense of style, trends, understanding of the fashion industry, and design skills are required.
As part of the hiring process, you will be required to complete one design project. You will be paid as a contractor during this period. If you are selected for the full-time position, you will be required to live within 15 miles of Kahuku, Hawaii. This is due to the need to work in an ongoing manner
Style and Branding
- Lead the visual style for Rice Love products
- Ensure the Rice Love brand or vibe is represented well in all products
- Design for the 18-24 + 25-34 year-old, 90% female demographic.
- Focus on natural eco-friendly materials
Product Design & Development
- Lead the design and development process from start to finish for all products - including bags, t-shirts, hats, pants, etc.
- Make design decisions on fabrics, colors, ornamentation, zippers, pockets, colors
- Sketch and create tech packs for specific products
- Create and manage a product release schedule
- Communicate with multiple factories directly
- Search and compare factory prices, quantities, quality, review and improve upon factory samples
- Ensure product costs maintain adequate resale margins
- Design with specific low to mid-range price points in mind
- Assist with product quality control
- Confirm that factories are compliant with labor laws
- Travel to India, Nepal, Bali, etc. as the need arises
- Collaborate with the creative team on photography and graphics to be used to promote products
Skills & Experience Required
- Passion for Rice Love and our mission
- 1-3 years of experience as a product developer /designer (must have portfolio)
- Ability to work independently and stay productive without guidance for weeks at a time
- Ability to work in a small start-up environment from home with limited support
- Pulse on the trends in boho-beach fashion as well as broader fashion
- Excellent visual and written communication skills
- Drive for results and leaderships skills
- Mastery of graphics software such as Photoshop, Illustrator and comfortable working with Google docs and sheets
- Excellent command of the English language
- BS/MS degree in design or a related field such as:
- Apparel Industry Management
- Apparel Technical Design
- Fashion Design
- Merchandise Product Development
Job Type: Full-time
Salary + Benefits:
- $40,000 / year
- Live, work and play on the North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii!
How to Apply
Open until filled.
About Rice Love
Rice Love was born out of our passion to do good for people and the planet. We design tote bags and backpacks utilizing eco-friendly, cruelty-free materials. For every item we make, we give a kilo of rice to a family in need. We are committed to showing you the proof. Every item comes with a unique tag number that can be used to find the photo and story of the family that YOU have fed. When you buy our bags, you are raising your hand in support in the fight to end of global hunger and improving the planet.
We have given over 40,000 kilos of rice. There are an equal number of wanderers wearing our bags and sharing our story around the world. Our goal is to give 1 million kilos of rice by the end of 2022. We invite you to join the movement. Watch our story.